Do you admit to being a Trader?

PS, thinking about trading and talking about that is that this job actually manages to draw out even the otherwise most blasé sophisticates. Even the normally most nonchalant rarely manage to keep that up for more than a few minutes before coming gushing out with real curiosity and a gleam in their eyes.

Somehow, the idea of trading seems to be really good at bringing out all the exuberance normally associated with extreme youth in people.

Which is nice.

Nothing like making someones day is there.

Haha.:cheesy:

When I wrote my post I thought about writing that running a model agency might come a close second, not income wise but as far as other fun things in life go, but then biit my cheek and stopped myself just in time didn't, but see you've been thinking along similar lines so might as well come clean now.
:p

re drug dealing, sometimes when I'm in the mood and things are stiflingly boring, you know, like the occasional unavoidable extended family get together at weddings or God knows what, where you're cooped up with some extremely distant cousins friends mothers dreadfully boring lover at dinner, and just to wind up people like this in whom you have just absolutely zero interest, where I just can't wait to get a move on and escape, I'll spice things up by telling em that I'm in drugs, lol, seriously the reaction is just as wide eyed as when I tell people the truth, that I trade.

Should try that sometimes when you're bored to tears by people you can't immediately escape from.

;-)

If you want to pull that off really well nothing beats good old fashioned preparation:
:D

514E4ABMGYL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com: Mr. Nice: An Autobiography: Books: Howard Marks

There might be only one job which rivals trading ;) pimping :eek:

nah, i'm even thinking of giving it up, too much aggro, too many back-handers to the cops, trouble with the girls, punters etc.
Not worth it, even the novelty of "road-testing" the new girls is starting to wear off

Reactions: BSD
conniemack

When I tell friends that I traded 2578 [just finished my taxes], you might expect their response to be at least mildly iatrogenic, as when you learn that the surgeon has removed the wrong kidney. As often as not, the response can be as little different as when I show my cat a picture of himself.

I guess some people can make garbage collecting sound really interesting
Others couldn't give the crown jewels away

Telling people isnt a problem but you guys are right when you get the "lucky" if you win and "gambling" if you lose speech. It does make for interesting conversations though. But I think the worst is when your secondary family thinks your greedy or a scrooge. "He must be wealthy becuase he stays at home all day trading."

They just dont understand taxes, diversification, draw downs, etc...

Yeah secondary/extended family are the worst.. your spouse and friends will support you, but some members of your extended family will be envious and will make those kind of remarks. I have resisted telling anyone other than my wife and friends i trade. I also get the hoodoo feeling i will suffer the mother of all drawdowns right after i tell anyone else (who will promptly spread the new gossip on the extended family world wide grapevine) im a full time trader.

I see people running in the cold to catch the train. I am going to be nervous about what I do when I talk to people who live pay slip to pay slip? You kidding me? I am the bloody star of the show. I give two fingers to the world. Screw jobs and two bloody holidays a year if you are lucky. I take my five year old to Africa for two months and trade while watching him swim. I am supposed to be ashamed of not being a wage-slave? WTF?!

Hey FX Scalper - That is SO COOL......... !! ;)(y)

couldnt agree more - considering a good trader can make more in ONE year than most workers will make in their ENTIRE working LIFETIME - id be proud of that BIG TIME too.. !!

I hear running a drugs gang seemed to pay off well. £5m a week, apparently. Ring leader had a string of ferraris and "luxury 4x4s".

and that very same " Mr BIG " drug dealer lives his life looking over his shoulder 24/7 for the boys in blue to come and take it ALL AWAY...... !!
Or better still a bullet in the head from a rival - what a life...... !!

Maybe on the net somewhere there is a happiness league table done by occupation ?
Or to look at the black side of the same question a league table of suicides

where would traders be in those ?

Maybe on the net somewhere there is a happiness league table done by occupation ?
Or to look at the black side of the same question a league table of suicides

where would traders be in those ?

Interesting thought there. I wonder how retail traders and pro traders compare. I get the feeling that pro traders have a lot more pressure; huge targets, immense competitiveness.

I suppose the bad retail trader could end up getting addicted or simply over-sizing his position and risking his family home/incurring massive debts, which could lead to suicide.

Interesting thought there. I wonder how retail traders and pro traders compare. I get the feeling that pro traders have a lot more pressure; huge targets, immense competitiveness.

I suppose the bad retail trader could end up getting addicted or simply over-sizing his position and risking his family home/incurring massive debts, which could lead to suicide.

I think you have put your finger right on the problems.
Jesse Livermore was a hugely successful trader for many years before he somehow lost his touch and crashed to earth.

I think you have put your finger right on the problems.
Jesse Livermore was a hugely successful trader for many years before he somehow lost his touch and crashed to earth.

" Hugely successful " - ? and some !! - came out of the 1929 crash $100 MILLION UP - !! and did it SEVERAL times -

$100m in 1929 is an ENORMOUS amount of money.. !! - (sufferered from depression all his life - walked into his office, left a note for the love of his life and then blew his brains out) - so sad.... !! :(

gotta be one of the best traders thats EVER BEEN...... !! :(

I didn't know he was depressed. He seemed to enjoy life (regular holidays to Florida etc).

and bankrupting a spreadbet company :whistling

" Hugely successful " - ? and some !! - came out of the 1929 crash $100 MILLION UP - !! and did it SEVERAL times -

$100m in 1929 is an ENORMOUS amount of money.. !! - (sufferered from depression all his life - walked into his office, left a note for the love of his life and then blew his brains out) - so sad.... !! :(

gotta be one of the best traders thats EVER BEEN...... !! :(

Yup !

714TGBWK0DL._SS500_.gif

Amazon.com: Reminiscences of a Stock Operator (A Marketplace Book): Books: Edwin Lefèvre

His fictionalized biography, 100 years old, but still the best book on trading ever.

Btw, a hundred mills worth of 1929 money is a cool Billion in todays money !!

If depression had been recognized in those days as just an illness like many others, and not anything to be shoved under the carpet, if he'd received his regular dosage of Prozac he'd probably have gone on to live to a ripe old age.