Attachment File Extensions

trendie

Legendary member
dont know if this suggestion is just re-doing what StrageyBuilderFX already does, but, if the predominant platform is, say, MT-4, what about allowing traders to post snippets of useful code for MT-4 ?

Sounds like a valuable idea. I am with MT4 & see no reason to use any other chart platform at present.

Yeah absolutely - what file extensions do we need to add to the list of allowable attachments? They might already be listed in fact. That's of course if you're envisaging them posting the snippets in the forum rather than some other section of the website? It might be possible to add some sort of file share application.

MetaTrader-4 uses .mq4 as code, and .ex4 as run-time.
I wouldnt recommend allowing .ex4, as it may contain viruses, etc.

at the moment, if I upload .mq4, I just rename it to .txt, and get the user to rename it back, once downloaded.

an MT-4 template has file extension .mqt.

EDIT: (Dec-15, 9:20am): has occurred to me, if users simply zip the files before uploading, all the issues with different file extensions are solved in one stroke.

Last edited:
Yeah absolutely - what file extensions do we need to add to the list of allowable attachments? They might already be listed in fact. That's of course if you're envisaging them posting the snippets in the forum rather than some other section of the website? It might be possible to add some sort of file share application.

.mq4 - often/usually EA's (expert advisors - automated strategies)
.ex4 - indicators
.tpl - chart templates (a collection of saved indicators inside an insertable template/workspace)

Added MetaTrader file extensions for .mq4, .mqh, .ex4, .tpl

Also added:
.vtscr (VT Trader)
.vttrs (VT Trader)
.xml

If anyone can think of any more useful file extensions to add, please do suggest them on this thread (check the existing list by clicking 'Manage Attachments' on the page when posting a new thread).