Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Morning All
BHP -0.98%
RIO -2.40%
Asian markets mostly lower, seen some very good moves in Asia again.
Asian markets recovered from morning sell off.
FTSE dropped 45 points at this time, but not recovered.
Long FTSE @5802 aiming for 5838, stop 5778.
Should be at 5823 to match current ASX or 5855 to DOW, on Fridays closing prices.
20 to go Sydney.

i sold at 5850 20mins before US closed, closed it for 45pts

looks like rotation into safety, strong dollar. some strange reason vix remains pinned to the floor, below 14

From The Trader 21/9

The Bank of Japan has just announced that it is joining the Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank by pumping yet more freshly created money into the financial system. If you're in any doubt about how the central banks' latest synchronised splurge of liquidity should affect your trading strategy, I suggest you reflect upon the legendary words of Harry Callahan, the maverick cop played by Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry.

"I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But seeing as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

I say this because it seems to me that there are currently more than a few punks out there in the markets who still seem to think they stand a sporting chance of profitably short-selling the indices, despite being faced with no less than three Magnum-toting Harry Callahans. And, unlike in the case of Dirty Harry, there is no doubt whatsoever that the Fed, ECB and BoJ have the full compliment of ammo.
The first two rounds of quantitative easing fired by the Federal Reserve - and the ECB's LTRO - were bad times to short equities. I know this because I tried it myself during QE1 in early 2009. And, I got my head blown clean off, figuratively speaking. By the time the Fed brandished QE2 under the market's nose, I had wised up to the idea that it might be safer – and more profitable – to comply with Dirty Ben's wishes.

Attachments

• 2 S&P & QE--450x270.JPG
    2 S&P & QE--450x270.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 129
Hedgies made zilch from short selling strategies in last 11 years.

Over the last 11 years, the EDHEC-Risk Institute found that short selling had produced a 0% average annual return. It took the microscope to data since January 2001, but also analysed year-to-date figures, which painted a bleaker picture of their tactics.

As volatility hit, many investors will have found it difficult to judge the direction of stocks, and hedge funds were no different. As a collective they lost 10.9% short selling year-to-date, and in August shed 3.24%, roughly a third of their yearly losses.

Hedgies made zilch from short selling strategies in last 11 years | Reuters