Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

stopped out for +10 this might go back to 230

Im sure you will get a better price next week
looking for the DOW to print a 179 before heading lower this evening the DOW still has a 10915 target in play which would do monday as I have next week as a one way street into options expiry

DC

Good shout on 265. I should have listened ;0

I must do some research into my stops

Last edited:
Im sure you will get a better price next week
looking for the DOW to print a 179 before heading lower this evening the DOW still has a 10915 target in play which would do monday as I have next week as a one way street into options expiry

That wouldn't be a one way up street would it? I always think that they like to drive it up prior to options expiry. I used to subscribe to the Max Pain theory but people have looked into it in great detail and claim it has no substance. You can only trade what you see.

That wouldn't be a one way up street would it? I always think that they like to drive it up prior to options expiry. I used to subscribe to the Max Pain theory but people have looked into it in great detail and claim it has no substance. You can only trade what you see.

print a low monday then higher highs and higher lows into thursday rest friday. classic 5 day rally then dump the following week

I see the FTSE and DOW getting very close to low targets preference for the DOW would be bounce off 10953 rather than hit the 915

print a low monday then higher highs and higher lows into thursday rest friday. classic 5 day rally then dump the following week

I see the FTSE and DOW getting very close to low targets preference for the DOW would be bounce off 10953 rather than hit the 915

DC , I concur... Fits with my thoughts that end of contract surge.. That is, shorts rolling out of Sept and into Dec contract. Does this logic make sense to you too?

I have been paper trading the FTSE Futures for over a year now, with occasional trades live. I would like to find other FTSE Futures Traders and compare notes.

I am consistently profitable on the Sim, averaging £400 per day allowing for commissions, but to achieve this I am doing 30+ trades per day. I trade one contract only, but add more if a trend continues. My average winner is £35 and my average loser is £20. My win/loss ratio is roughly 60% winners, 40% losers.

I am a very short term trader with most trades lasting 2 to 9 minutes.

My price targets are 6 to 10 points, depending on the price action.

My stops are usually 4.5 points if entered on a limit order, or 5 pts if on a stop order.

I use direct market access trading using the Open ECry platform. You get filled at the bid or the ask, and there is no spread to pay. Most people in the UK seem to use spreadbetting to trade the FTSE cash. They pay a minimum of 0.5 points per side in spread, which costs them £10 per trade, which makes it much harder to make a profit when you are scalping. My fees are £1.81 per trade.

As for strategy, I trade reversals, continuations, pullbacks and breakouts.

With the FTSE, a 2 point move above or below the previous 5 minute candle is significant enough to signal a change of trend most of the time.

I use support and resistance from the 60 minute and daily charts, and watch the 5 min, 1 min and 50 volume charts all the time.

As soon as a reversal is in, I look for retracements to the 38%, 50% and 61.8% levels.

I don't use pivots, but I make a rough note of where they are. They work better for swing trades, and are less accurate for scalping.

A 2 point move away from a S/R or fib level is enough for me to consider a change of trend.

I use the 5 min chart to monitor trends and the 1 minute chart to time my entries.

I watch how price action moves between upper, middle and lower boly bands on the 5 min chart, to decide my bias. This mid line is critical. Below mid bb, take short entries only. Above mid bb, take longs only, unless it bounces off a strong level. Importantly, I use an 8 period setting for bolys on the 5 min chart.

Pullbacks to the 5 EMA on the 5 min chart are good entries for a steady trending market.
Pullbacks to the 5 EMA on the 1 min chart are good entries in rapidly falling/rising markets.

I trade from 8am to 11am usually, and 2:30pm to 4:15pm, UK time. In the morning, I watch the ES and FESX for confirmation of moves by the FTSE. In the afternoon, I watch the ES for trend but trade the FTSE depending on what happens with the ES.

I am trying to reduce the number of trades I take, and cherry pick which trades to take. I also and trying to run my trades longer, but when I get 10 points up I usually close and bank the profit.

I am interested to see how many others scalp the FTSE futures like me, and if they are comfortable taking so many trades in a day. Also what set ups do they use that are successful.

Hi All,

I was just reading the opening post of this thread and thought that I would give you all a heads up on what I’m doing.

I was trading CFDs for UK FTSE shares for a while but decided that it would be better to focus on just one contract and made the switch to FTSE futures in March this year. I haven’t used simulated trading, just traded on a smaller scale. I was focusing on pivots almost exclusively until recently. I had some very good results with them and made some decent profits trading between 2 and 8 FTSE contracts and targeting approx 20 points+ (sometimes mid-point between pivots some times the full move). However there are days when they do not work so well and I was perhaps trying a one-size fits all approach when the market doesn’t operate that way. As a result I suffered some sizeable losses on 2 or 3 fairly recent days which spurred me on to look at adding some more approaches to my trading.

My main criteria for entering was watching price at pivot points and getting a feel for whether it was holding or likely to break. This is where I really needed to add some structure and where I have found Brooks quite useful – in terms of understanding trends and identifying price patterns. I’m still a fan of pivots but I am trading in a more defensive manner now and taking 10 point profits where I can – partly through a knock in confidence but also to allow myself some space to develop my chart reading skills further before I increase position size and targets.

I’m still playing around with different charts – I have spent some time researching market profile but have yet to really buy into it but I do plan to spend more time looking at it again in the future. Likewise with P&F charts

The problem I had with 1 min charts was more to do with application than anything else. I was having quite a successful run and found myself almost ignoring other timeframes which ended up costing me dearly. Out of interest have you experimented with any other time frames such as 2 or 3 min charts? I suspect the answer isn’t tweaking timeframes but learning how to use the 1 minute chart i.e. perhaps looking for more reliable patterns and putting what’s happening in better perspective with the wider timeframe.

Anywhere that’s where I am for now.

Ps I realise this thread is about what’s happening on the FTSE not what’s happening in my world. Future posts will be on topic.

Ps I realise this thread is about what’s happening on the FTSE not what’s happening in my world. Future posts will be on topic.

orangtrader - that's a great post, and it's always good to hear other people's experiences and trading strategies. You can post what's happening in your world any time.

As for 2 minute and 3 minute charts, I don't use them. The only one's that matter to me are the 1 min and 5 min charts. For the US market the 5 min chart is especially important as the candle usually closes much differently to the way it looked after 2 or 3 minutes. And for me the 1 minute is still great for timing an entry, especially in combination with a 12 period boly band. A move above the mid boly band, after a period of time staying below it, is a great indicator for a reversal.

DC , I concur... Fits with my thoughts that end of contract surge.. That is, shorts rolling out of Sept and into Dec contract. Does this logic make sense to you too?

Im not so much concened with the futures rolling over but with options expiring my preference is for a rally this week options expire then a fall as DEC futures become the front month

Globex just opened and already ftse and DOW in my target zones 5148 and 10915

this is gonna be some party

Im not so much concened with the futures rolling over but with options expiring my preference is for a rally this week options expire then a fall as DEC futures become the front month

Globex just opened and already ftse and DOW in my target zones 5148 and 10915

this is gonna be some party

I agree with option expiry, this typically happens whe vix index is high as it is currently, I have looked at ftse option contracts on life and the majority of volume and open interest is at the 5400 to 5500 level for puts. So a squeeze to these levels is possible. I think. Ftse futures could make 5086/5093. When vix is high I have noticed contract rollovers typically Mark a change in direction. So your thoughts on dump next well are consistent with this. Happy trading !!!!!!!

I have DOW @11898 and FTSE @5498 september target highs I would like these this week my problem is the lows I have would indicate something like 6th may 2010 in order to hit, a rare event indeed

I agree with option expiry, this typically happens whe vix index is high as it is currently, I have looked at ftse option contracts on life and the majority of volume and open interest is at the 5400 to 5500 level for puts. So a squeeze to these levels is possible. I think. Ftse futures could make 5086/5093. When vix is high I have noticed contract rollovers typically Mark a change in direction. So your thoughts on dump next well are consistent with this. Happy trading !!!!!!!

I meant 5086/ 5093 as the low today, to be clear

I have DOW @11898 and FTSE @5498 september target highs I would like these this week my problem is the lows I have would indicate something like 6th may 2010 in order to hit, a rare event indeed

Your pulling my !*********! How do you get this target? That was a day to remember!,,

Your pulling my !*********! How do you get this target? That was a day to remember!,,

Ahhhh ..... Just realised your talking about the low following this week. Not tomorrow!,, I will need to look that... But going to bed now.

nope price was set sept 2nd for the low I am looking about 27th

Yes that price was same as the may 2010 low... I am not sure if you are seeing that price today? Or on the 27th sept after contract rollover?

Yes that price was same as the may 2010 low... I am not sure if you are seeing that price today? Or on the 27th sept after contract rollover?

after rollover

dont really want another post 089 again today:LOL: once market opens

just been looking at globex thats had fun