Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Interesting stuff, Martin. So, if reversals are your thing don't lay about in bed :)

Interesting stuff, Martin. So, if reversals are your thing don't lay about in bed :)

Your post was interesting and has been verified for to-day. The range was about 15 points and, virtually, nothing has happened up until now.

Good morning all. I have spent this morning doing some research into the average range for the morning session of the FTSE futures. ie 8am to noon. You may find it of interest.

I have taken data from January 6th to today, covering 38 trading days of data. Now during this time the average daily range (24 hours) has dropped from 89.5 pts to 54.5 pts.

The average range for the 4 hours between 8am and noon is 39.5 pts.
This average has been falling throughout the 38 days until recently when it has started to go back up.

Not disputing your calcs Martin, Merely highlighting the fact that the DAX has twice the range of the FTSE currently)

(not disputing your figures MArtin, merey highlighting that the DAX has on average twice the range of the FTSE Currently)

The average for 5 day periods is as follows:
Last 5 days 34.6
5 to 10 days ago 28.7
10 to 15 days ago 30.2
15 to 20 days ago 47.1
20 to 25 days ago 49.5
25 to 30 days ago 46.3
30 to 35 days ago 45.4

The high of the session happened 19 times between 8am and 9am
The high of the session happened 3 times between 9am and 10am
The high of the session happened 8 times between 10am and 11am
The high of the session happened 8 times between 11am and 12pm

The low of the session happened 21 times between 8am and 9am
The low of the session happened 6 times between 9am and 10am
The low of the session happened 3 times between 10am and 11am
The low of the session happened 10 times between 11am and 12pm

The average range for the 8am to 9am period is 27.3
The average range for the 9am to 10am period is 20.9
The average range for the 10am to 11am period is 17.8
The average range for the 11am to 12pm period is 14.8

Basically 50% of the time the high or low of the morning session is in the first hour.
If the opening hour has a range smaller than the average of 27 pts, you are probably in for a slow morning.

Nice post MArtin

Interestingly enough

sharescope calculates the (5 day) ave daily range for the ftse to have fallen to 45. the dax however is currently seeing a range of 99 pts average. may be more opportinity over there

As the exchange is a similar price then commission & spreads etc, should be % wise smaller to the potential moves that take place.

Last edited:
thx, pb - put my pair trade in the green anyway, so bad news is good news :D

Worked out well for me too, I was short the S&P from about an hour beforehand, big resistance at 1372.50 plus divergence, it was like watching paint dry though, slow as hell.

Nice post MArtin

Interestingly enough

sharescope calculates the (5 day) ave daily range for the ftse to have fallen to 45. the dax however is currently seeing a range of 99 pts average. may be more opportinity over there

As the exchange is a similar price then commission & spreads etc, should be % wise smaller to the potential moves that take place.

Chalky - good point. The dax is much more volatile than the FTSE right now, and it would make sense to trade it instead of the FTSE. The Dax is almost always down or up more percentage wise than the FTSE. Today FTSE -0.23%, FDAX -0.54%. Yesterday, similar ratio.

Hey Reksa

Thanks for re ignighting my interest in pivot points

That sell off bounced right off the pivot as calculated by IG charts

i played it small long and bagged a couple of points

longer term tho as we have broken from this mornings range then shorts may be the way to go this PM

It should sell off this pm on those poor durable goods, but look at yesterday afternoon and the volume that came in. That move up in the afternoon was on massive volume. The kind of volume that has to be institutional and must be longs. I don't see them letting their position go off side by too much. They should support the price at some stage. Don't know if it will be this pm for sure, but some time soon they should step in.

Hey Reksa

Thanks for re ignighting my interest in pivot points

That sell off bounced right off the pivot as calculated by IG charts

i played it small long and bagged a couple of points

longer term tho as we have broken from this mornings range then shorts may be the way to go this PM

Nice trade Chalky, did you buy in on the line?

If the high and low in the 24 hour day were printed between 8:00 and 16:30 the pivots will be calculated by IG charts ok. If not then (n)

Nice trade Chalky, did you buy in on the line?

If the high and low in the 24 hour day were printed between 8:00 and 16:30 the pivots will be calculated by IG charts ok. If not then (n)

I placed a limit just below it worked a treat

wish i could say that for all of my trades :LOL:

closed the pair +15. Relatively small potatoes really, but the difference range has not been great lately.

BHP, Diageo and Rio takes 7.632p off the index today. BP, RDSA/B and GSK was 22.561p off the index two weeks back.
Always worth having these 2 dates in the diary quarterly.

Working fine for me. You just missing the talk? or are you missing the text headlines too?

It's stopped at last night's close and not giving me today's headlines. I've tried on two computers and it is stuck on last night's headlines. And the audio test gives no sound.

As for this morning. It looks like another rangey morning The first hour had a range of 17.5 pts, although I favour a sell off and certainly a test of 5900

Ransquawk back up and running. Apparently the problem was at their end due to the leap year! That millenium bug had to turn up somewhere!

Looks like we are rangebound. I wasn't brave enough to take the long at 5904. I really thought we would go lower. I would consider a short around 5920 ish, but sitting on my hands otherwise.