What to screen for

SanMiguel

Experienced member
I'm more of a support and resistance trader but I'm looking at a stock screener to get some possible stocks.
Any suggested settings for the screener to look at?
trending, PEG, all time low, etc.

.....................I'm more of a support and resistance trader ...........................

sm

so why not just screen for those? eg: price within 5% (say) of the high/low of the last x days/ y weeks, z months or whatever.

On the other hand eyeball is good. I trade FTSE100 shares on a daily time frame and have a stable of around 10 favourites which I keep a close eye on. It doesn't take a minute or two to skim through the other 90 to see if there's anything interesting.

good trading

jon

sm

so why not just screen for those? eg: price within 5% (say) of the high/low of the last x days/ y weeks, z months or whatever.

On the other hand eyeball is good. I trade FTSE100 shares on a daily time frame and have a stable of around 10 favourites which I keep a close eye on. It doesn't take a minute or two to skim through the other 90 to see if there's anything interesting.

good trading

jon

I'm trying to pick the volume leaders of the last few days, generally ends up with stuff like vodafone, barclays, tesco, c&W, british airways, etc.
I would then eyeball but if something is at a yearly low, it doesn't necessarily indicate a buy unless it has already bounced off the yearly low a bit.

yeah, but you're not screening for buys/sells. You're screening for those which may be moving towards to your set-up.

I'm not into volume, but you're wanting unusual volume for the share not the standard volume leaders. Maybe your screener lets you do something like "daily volume = greater than twice the average volume of the last 20 days"

jon

Maybe one of the best stock screeners was Jim Slater. Look for his books The Zulu Principle / Beyond The Zulu Principle. He despised not just charts but also us chartists. His work is responsible for the wide use of PEG and if you need to introduce fundamental criteria he is an authority on this.

yeah, but you're not screening for buys/sells. You're screening for those which may be moving towards to your set-up.

I'm not into volume, but you're wanting unusual volume for the share not the standard volume leaders. Maybe your screener lets you do something like "daily volume = greater than twice the average volume of the last 20 days"

jon

The volume leaders screener is to introduce a bit of liquidity into the shares for a safeguard. You say unusual volume because you want to pick a stock that is going somewhere quickly?

Maybe one of the best stock screeners was Jim Slater. Look for his books The Zulu Principle / Beyond The Zulu Principle. He despised not just charts but also us chartists. His work is responsible for the wide use of PEG and if you need to introduce fundamental criteria he is an authority on this.
I'm a chartist so I'm not sure that will mix well :)