Well, I'm livish

rnicoll

Established member
Took my system live. First trade just triggered, checked the chart, panicked. Closed it out early, made a 20CAD profit, and watched it zoom off in the direction of more profit (currently at 50CAD equivalent).

Anyone got anything for the nerves? :)

Anyone got anything for the nerves?

yeah, use a sensible risk, and expose yourself to watching it. When your system whacks in and you place the trade, open up a small timeframe chart, and watch it. do that for a few weeks, you'll be bored whatsit of twitchy prices and kick back and just follw the system...... dont run away from it, but towards it.......

Think small but broaden your horizons . :idea:

yeah, use a sensible risk, and expose yourself to watching it. When your system whacks in and you place the trade, open up a small timeframe chart, and watch it. do that for a few weeks, you'll be bored whatsit of twitchy prices and kick back and just follw the system...... dont run away from it, but towards it.......

Think small but broaden your horizons . :idea:

I've been forward/backtesting it for a month now, and I still find it hard to not twitch. Will bring it back up again around 4, but there's a bunch of announcements coming out before then that I don't want to get into the middle of.

Oh, and having closed out early, it dipped below the initial entry price, so I tried buying some more... got the buttons the wrong way around, sold instead. Eventually got out of that mess with a 10CAD loss. After commission, I think that puts me at about a enough profit to buy a 1p chew.

I may need to be kept away from regular trading platforms for my own good. Or does anyone do a Fisher Price trading platform with REALLY BIG friendly brightly coloured buttons? :-D

ok, it might be that you are not entirely satified with the system itself then. And the nerves are coming through because of this.

Not so much execution issues but method issues, hence possible conflicts appearing.

Keep up the hard work.....

Good luck.

Hi there,

interested to know what trading system that is, with buttons you can get wrong like that? Do you mean you chose the wrong menu option with the mouse ?

Hi there,

interested to know what trading system that is, with buttons you can get wrong like that? Do you mean you chose the wrong menu option with the mouse ?

Ah, let me clarify. The automated trading engine is an early prototype. As it stands, for live trading I'm doing it manually on Interactive Broker's client.

And yeah, hit sell instead of buy.

I probably should have adult supervision when using scissors, y'know...

OK, I see. Better put a cork on the end of that fork you're holding..... ;)

Did you have a trailing stop in there?

What fork? *thunk* Arrrrgggh, my eye...

Seriously though... no stop, no, I wasn't in the market long enough. I learnt a long time ago, if you screw up, you don't hang in there hoping the market is nice to you that day.

You said earlier you use a system - I assumed that involved exits as well as entries, correct me if I'm wrong.

You said earlier you use a system - I assumed that involved exits as well as entries, correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, I thought you meant when I was trading manually...

My system uses a stop-loss at about 0.4% loss (which is a lot in currency terms, I haven't ever seen that actually trigger), but that's only a fail safe.

I was making false assumptions. I didn't realise you were system trading and manually trading - I suppose you are like many system traders, programming the system to place the orders as well, which I don't plan on doing.

I'm going to take the orders from the system and manually enter them into the broker platform. Since I'm using end-of-day data and daily bars, it's just a job to do before the markets open, not something I have to do real-time.

And I'll place my exit orders as soon as any of my entry orders get hit.

I tried manually entering the market with the O&A trading game account and I couldn't hack the uncertainty of leaving an open position without a stop. 0.4% of my account size might help me too perhaps.

I've got an automated version, but it's currently going through testing before I let it loose on real money, so I'm testing by hand for now. I'm very much intraday in my strategy, so it's quite hard to get the exit right when entering the market. Working on it, though, it would be nice to place both orders at the same time.