Trolls Beware

Terrorists...now trolls...I can't stand Governments...what will be the next bogeyman they need to protect us from...

Terrorists...now trolls...I can't stand Governments...what will be the next bogeyman they need to protect us from...

Any excuse will do. This is simply part of a much wider agenda that goes hand in hand with a vast array of measures, from the slow-motion abolition of jury trial and habeas corpus to the ludicrous Leveson inquiry (which is simply an entirely cynical attempt to undermine the freedom of the press under a massively flimsy pretext).

You'd probably have to go back to before the Glorious Revolution to find a time when Britons were less free than now.

People are scum, what else is new? I've been using the internet since 1994 and nobody had a problem with trolls until facebook was invented and the media sensationalised "trolling"...so it's a crime to insult someone now...what next?

Yeah well I ****in invented the ****in internet so stick that up your a* you ****in ********.:cheesy: Quite good fun this trolling lark.

Internet I.D cards coming soon....

Those are obviously disgusting examples of deliberate wickedness. But hard cases make bad law, and there has been a disturbing tendency to use such things as an excuse for the blanket erosion of vital liberties.

Leveson is a prime example. If journalists have broken the law, that is a matter for the police and the courts. Instead, we have a witch hunt into press "ethics" which is simply aimed at curtailing the freedom of the press.

Thomas Jefferson expressed it perfectly:

The people are the only censors of their governors: and even their errors will tend to keep these to the true principles of their institution. To punish these errors too severely would be to suppress the only safeguard of the public liberty. The way to prevent these irregular interpositions of the people is to give them full information of their affairs thro’ the channel of the public papers, & to contrive that those papers should penetrate the whole mass of the people. The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers & be capable of reading them.

Yeah well I ****in invented the ****in internet so stick that up your a* you ****in ********.:cheesy: Quite good fun this trolling lark.

Internet I.D cards coming soon....

I was thinking the very same thing. Soon, to post a public message on any internet site you will be confronted with the following:

WARNING: Government Anti-trolling and insulting legislation prohibits the posting of any message or material that may be considered inappropriate or offensive to any individual or group of individuals, any race or religion, any gender, any class or any person of any sexual orientation. This includes but is not limited to nasty or abusive language, profanity, images containing nudity or partial nudity, images of violence or implied violence, caricatures, any attempts at humiliation or criticism or any other material that the Department of Internet safety and security determines to be unfit for public consumption. Please enter your Internet I.D and click OK if you wish to continue.

I was thinking the very same thing. Soon, to post a public message on any internet site you will be confronted with the following:

Only a matter of time. Wonder what Barjon and C.V will do with all their spare time they have on their hands.

The f**k you invented the f***in' internet, you f***in' f***. You didn't invent s***t, fool.

Every motherf***er knows that f***in' Al Gore invented the f***in' internet. Nobody's gonna f*** around with climate change millionaire Al F***in' Gore's f***in' legacy, least not while I've still got some f***in' lead in my F*** Shaft.

So stick that up your f***in' a**, you f***in' motherf***er, and f*** off, f***face.

Indeed Sir, I concur with your assessment - this modern practice of 'trolling' is capital sport!

The f**k you invented the f***in' internet, you f***in' f***. You didn't invent s***t, fool.

Every motherf***er knows that f***in' Al Gore invented the f***in' internet. Nobody's gonna f*** around with climate change millionaire Al F***in' Gore's f***in' legacy, least not while I've still got some f***in' lead in my F*** Shaft.

So stick that up your f***in' a**, you f***in' motherf***er, and f*** off, f***face.

Indeed Sir, I concur with your assessment - this modern practice of 'trolling' is capital sport!

Enjoy it while you can. They are going to outlaw the use of offensive asteriskses (or whatever the ****ing plural is)

web article said:
"However, if the choice is between protecting users' anonymity and avoiding a potentially costly lawsuit, many small operators are not going to be overly concerned about whether or not a user has genuinely defamed the complainant."

Peter