tax on imports

the blades

Experienced member
Chaps,

If I buy a watch from amazon.com, how much can I spend before the "import" would be taxable?

Cheers in advance,
UTB

not sure, but if it helps I recently bought a couple of pairs of Timberland deck shoes mail order from the US, total value about $140 (ie less than half the UK price), and got charged import duties. Still cheaper than buying here, and interestingly Timberland's UK market shoes are made in China, these US ones were made in the US and are much better quality.

not sure, but if it helps I recently bought a couple of pairs of Timberland deck shoes mail order from the US, total value about $140 (ie less than half the UK price), and got charged import duties. Still cheaper than buying here, and interestingly Timberland's UK market shoes are made in China, these US ones were made in the US and are much better quality.

Cheers JOC. I've sinced Googled the exact same prodcts and found them in the UK quite a bit cheaper, suprisingly. And I'm sure they're exactly the same.

Cheers,
UTB

Importing from outside EU -

Exempt from duty/VAT (shipped): Goods value of £18 or less; Gifts value of £36 or less.
Travellers entering UK allowed £145 or less.

Above this duty (usually 5%-9%. can be as high as 85%; you need to check the TARIC) is applied to whole amount (including shipping costs) then VAT 17.5% applied to the total. Then on top of this the carrier will normally charge a customs clearance fee such as Royal Mail £4 / Parcelforce £8-£13. But if you're lucky the parcel simply slips through the net and avoids all duty/charges, even something as large as a chair. :)

TARIC stuff
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/downloadFile?contentID=HMCE_MIG_009862
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/tarhome_en.htm

Last edited:
Jack,

“I recently bought a couple of pairs of Timberland deck shoes”.

I bet you read FT Weekend.

Are there import duties on Russian brides? A friend wants to know.

Grant.

Jack,

“I recently bought a couple of pairs of Timberland deck shoes”.

I bet you read FT Weekend.

Are there import duties on Russian brides? A friend wants to know.

Grant.

LOL. Nope - have worn Timberlands for decades: well before they became a 'fashion brand'. They stop you sliding off the deck quite effectively and used to be a bit cheaper than the pukka yachtie brands.

Russian brides are much more expensive than the home-grown variety, if the experience of a friend is anything to go by. After about three years they tend to clear off, taking half your assets with them...

On my hols in California a couple of years ago, I bought a number of trinkets, and rather than carry them around with me, I posted them to my home address from my hotel.
(I tend to do that, it reduces lugging things around, and I can travel light)

I honestly didnt know about import duties at the time, and when the card through the door mentioned them I said I would get round to them.

About 10 days later they sent me the items without asking for payment!!
(I think they didnt want their holding area/warehouse blocked up with small items)

doesnt help with your post, but might help if you buy stuff when travelling, what with the Xmas hols around the corner, and the impending New York shopping trips on the horizon. ;)

Jack,

“taking half your assets”. Exposure to western decadence that is Marks and Spencer’s raises aspirations. OK, kipper ties were only available to the elite of the politburo but at least under Stalin people knew their place.

This has a really tenuous yachting link. A friend (ex Merchant, RN) was in a French port, met the actor Oliver Reed (the only “celebrity” I like) and spent the day drinking heavily on his yacht. A unique and priceless experience in my book.

Grant.