Spread Betting the FTSE 100

Hi James

It depends on your appetite for loss and gain. The relatively small daily average movement is also going to be cut into by the spread.

You may have to put in a fairly largish £ per point to get decent daily rewards (or losses) but if trading with small stakes you can cut your teeth on trading indices with small downside.

If you are going to 'punt' the FTSE you will lose money no matter what you have as a stake but if you research the trade properly then it is a good place to start.

I know people who do trade it successfully. I have had reasonable success with it.

Pete

FTSE in mouth said:
Hi James

It depends on your appetite for loss and gain. The relatively small daily average movement is also going to be cut into by the spread.

You may have to put in a fairly largish £ per point to get decent daily rewards (or losses) but if trading with small stakes you can cut your teeth on trading indices with small downside.

If you are going to 'punt' the FTSE you will lose money no matter what you have as a stake but if you research the trade properly then it is a good place to start.

I know people who do trade it successfully. I have had reasonable success with it.

Pete

Hi Pete,
Thanks.
It's just one of the things I have been looking at. The annoying thing is that I have had a %100 success rate using virtual money on one of the SB sites - kind of lulling me into a false sense of security, if you know what I mean! (And I'm able to use £100/tick!).

I've been using candlesticks, backed up with a little sprinkle of support/resistance knowledge (although I've been wondering how s/r can be viable to use for an index, doesn't really make sense!?).
The index seems OK to read, though I'd like to know if it has any repeating 'behaviours' or suchlike.

It's not the spread that's annoying me at the moment, more the fact that the SB prices don't really keep up with the changes of the day. I'm guessing they use some sort of moving average to flatten out the peaks and troughs.

Do you actually use SB companies (as opposed to brokers)?

Cheers,
J. :D