Short FTSE 4200

wallstreet1928

Legendary member
Is there anybody else going short on the FTSE?

can you please explain your arguments as to why and the please add incidicators/signals that have supported your view?

thanks

I went short on the FTSE at about 4120. After the big open on low liquidity it was clear after an hour or so that there was not strong buying. Instead it started a gradual sell off. A fund manager on Bloomberg also stated that when he returned to his office he would be selling into this rally. Now at 9:30 some stronger signs of buying.

I'm a novice, btw, so don't listen to me :)

I'm selling too into this strength. I think after the FED we could see a sell off on the DOW with a flat to slightly up close. I sold at 4200 last night and its looking nice now. A trailing stop is the order of the day to lock in profits.

FTSE futures becoming much more active now, stronger buying. Traders coming back from their tea breaks?

you mentioned volume Fortune500, know please can you tell me where you get that information from?

I use Marketmaker software and cant find the amount of volume traded on Dow, Nasdaq or FTSE?

please can you direct me?

I use ShareScope which gives volumes on the FTSE. But it's more a feel I get when looking at the prices constantly moving and changing hands. It's like watching The Matrix in it unencoded state :)

I'm using ShareScope Pro. But don't listen to me; I'm very new to all this, just learning as I go along. I'm sure other chaps on this forum will advise completely differently (I've had no experience of any other package).

so how did you get into/learn about shares or trading?

i ask because its always interesting hearing the story of how we all started?

I started by catching my university professor trading the Nikkei in his room when i went to ask him for help? i showed an interest and he started to teach me technical analysis as i did economics at manchester uni.......

Good desicion how do you think FTSE is going to play out until dow opens.....

i have shorted twice since i posted..........once at 4350 and then at 4300 last night!! made a 100 points on both trades........

i'm a bear until further notice or someone can persuade otherwise

I made a nice £400 profit from yesterday on a buy sold at 4345 then shorted again at 4350 held my position until 4250

Good morning all.
From Monday next week we shouid see riecent highs breached.
Have large buy orders 5 points above these leavels to close 15 points profit.
As for intra day Im buying these dips from monday ......
Good luck guys, Its november next week this is not the time of year to be a seller.

that was a nice play long by the way, well done...........a bit too risky for me though?!!

I am currently neutral with no positions(i tell a lie im long on barclays @ 183 with stop loss @ 180).... as a lot of data out in afternoon and BEn Bernanke speaking ??

but I'm bearish and will jump on any opportunity to short............

p.s. i dont trade mu ch on friday afternoons as I have to go to Friday prayers at the mosque and have lost a lot of money leaving my positions open, fridays can be quiet volatile as data comes out?

"LONDON (MarketWatch) - The volatile action in U.S. stocks looked set to continue Friday, with stock futures falling ahead of another round of likely gloomy economic data and as video games maker Electronic Arts cut its profit forecast."

I do agree with TomTom, there might be a post US election bounce especially if Obama wins......thats one of the theories why the oil price has come down so much because bush's oil pals are no longer going to enjoy the freedom they once had when he was in power hence the selling pressure because they are all getting out???

I'm an Obama supporter by the way, I have had enough of the republicans.....Arrogant and cocky!!

so yes, even though I am long term bearish there is no harm in a short rally(short term correction) and i am weary of that? hence the reason why i always have tight stop losses(usually 25 - 50 points so if the market turns its tide i am there to ride the little mini bounce)

so if you are going to go long wait till the 5th November when all the political uncertainty is over?

just out of curiosity Tomtom how did you come to that conclusion...

please can you elaborate on a little bit of your research
i.e. charts, indicators ....etc