Second Incomes

the blades

Experienced member
As I prepare for my life as a full time trader, probably by April next year, it's got me thinking.

I don't want to spend my life at a PC, so I'd like to do some other stuff that's not a fixed regime and that gets me out of the house - and maybe pays silly money:LOL:

So far I've agreed to ocassionally labour for a mates furniture business, to stop the muscles withering, and to look after another friends rented property.

What other ideas are there for second incomes and / or voluntary work?

Cheers,
UTB

Last edited:
As I prepare for my life as a full time trader, probably by April next year, it's got me thinking.

I don't want to spend my life at a PC, so I'd like to do some other stuff that's not a fixed regime and that gets me out of the house - and maybe pays silly money:LOL:

So far I've agreed to ocassionally labour for a mates furniture business, to stop the muscles withering, and to look after another friends rented property.

Cheers,
UTB
BTCV, especially in the winter.

UTB,
I'm in the same boat. How about you come down here and work on my garden for a few days (free board and lodging) and then I'll pop up to yours for a day or two for same. We can toil away whilst nattering away about trading and get our garden chores done, or decorating or whatever - in double quick time?
Tim.

Cheers,
UTB

There's loads of stuff to do, blades. If you don't really need an income supplement, then there is further education or hobbies that you may like to try. I love to go running early in the morning or to the driving range. I know this isn't what you are aiming at in your thread, but i believe a person does need other interests in their life appart from trading. Mon - Fri, whilst the markets are running, i have quite a strict regime that i stick to, it helps me focus, and i feel better for it.

At the weekend, i go to the pub and i get p*ssed, if i'm not doing anything with my two lads.

There's loads of stuff to do, blades. If you don't really need an income supplement, then there is further education or hobbies that you may like to try. I love to go running early in the morning or to the driving range. I know this isn't what you are aiming at in your thread, but i believe a person does need other interests in their life appart from trading. Mon - Fri, whilst the markets are running, i have quite a strict regime that i stick to, it helps me focus, and i feel better for it.

At the weekend, i go to the pub and i get p*ssed, if i'm not doing anything with my two lads.

Thanks for the replies so far chaps.

At the moment I'd rather do things that generate a second income - I don't actually need to make money at all in the short term, so I'm not trading scared. My main concern is general activity and social interaction, but as my risk free salary will disappear, doing things that will supplement my income might settle any nerves somewhat.

Blackcab - I'd like to think when / if I'm fully established, I'd move towards more voluntary stuff. I can't help feeling trading is not really adding value to anything (some will disagree) - hence a desire here.

Timsk - I like the idea of the exchange, but can we go to the pub instead of doing the gardens?

Paul71 - I echo your sentiments though I'm covered on the excercise, time with the kids and trips to the pub. It's the one thing I'm good at:LOL:

Cheers,
UTB

Last edited:

Cheers,
UTB

How about a garden maintanance or window cleaning round,you could do this on a self employed basis,and you could work your hours to suit you.

Graham

Thanks for the replies so far chaps.

At the moment I'd rather do things that generate a second income - I don't actually need to make money at all in the short term, so I'm not trading scared. My main concern is general activity and social interaction, but as my risk free salary will disappear, doing things that will supplement my income might settle any nerves somewhat.

Blackcab - I'd like to think when / if I'm fully established, I'd move towards more voluntary stuff. I can't help feeling trading is not really adding value to anything (some will disagree) - hence a desire here.

Timsk - I like the idea of the exchange, but can we go to the pub instead of doing the gardens?

Paul71 - I echo your sentiments though I'm covered on the excercise, time with the kids and trips to the pub. It's the one thing I'm good at:LOL:

Cheers,
UTB

Schools/councils are often looking for lollipop men - short hours and you get loads of chocolates at Xmas.

Why not invest in your health? By this, I mean work out some sort of regular exercise routine. It doesn't have to mean 2 hours of agony in the gym. It could be going for a cycle, doing light weights at home, perhaps taking up a new sport or joining tai chi class (depending on fitness levels). We're supposed to exercise to the point where it's hard to talk for 30 minutes, 3 times a week, as a minimum, apparently.

Start Top Dog/s walking/exercise service. Charge £5-10 +travelling?, to exercise other peoples dogs.

target posh estates, vets, grooming parlours, phone book touting, plenty of dogs in the hood..... keep your rate worthwhile, some will bite, :)

hmm while your at it, learn a basic micro chipping course, so you can offer to chip the pooch, extra £20-30 quid a hound, sell em, dog decent dog id's tags £4-7. a pop on top..

Ohh and I like the idea that you could hire a dog suit or 2 and hit the town centre doing promo's....

avoid dog sitting , unless the client does'nt mind being stung in the pocket...

woof, sausages.

Last edited:

Cheers,
UTB

Good idea Blades. Have you got kids? Or even if not: school governor. Most schools usually have vacancies for parent or community governors. Benefit for the school is input of fresh ideas and energy, keeping the senior management on their toes. Benefit for you, particularly if you chair one of the committees, is keeping you in touch with all those management type skills that get lost when working on your own. Also, frankly, looks good on the cv if you want to get back to work at some point. I've found it invaluable in keeping me rooted in something external to my trading business while working from home and would strongly recommend it.

The citizens advice bureaux are always in need for volunteers, this could be quite interesting, i think the hours are 9.30am - 12.30pm, you decide how many days you want to do.

How about a garden maintanance or window cleaning round,you could do this on a self employed basis,and you could work your hours to suit you.

Graham

I'm a bit scared of heights Graham. Mind you - I paid the window cleaner yesterday. 7 ****ing quid! It takes him about 5 minutes!

Hmmmm......

Schools/councils are often looking for lollipop men - short hours and you get loads of chocolates at Xmas.

Cheers Hoggums - but you'd have to know me to undertand just how completely ridiculous I'd look. Not exactly full of Kudos for the pub either:LOL: .

then again, all those bored mums..........where's the council's number.......

Start Top Dog/s walking/exercise service. Charge £5-10 +travelling?, to exercise other peoples dogs.

target posh estates, vets, grooming parlours, phone book touting, plenty of dogs in the hood..... keep your rate worthwhile, some will bite, :)

hmm while your at it, learn a basic micro chipping course, so you can offer to chip the pooch, extra £20-30 quid a hound, sell em, dog decent dog id's tags £4-7. a pop on top..

Ohh and I like the idea that you could hire a dog suit or 2 and hit the town centre doing promo's....

avoid dog sitting , unless the client does'nt mind being stung in the pocket...

woof, sausages.

now that is an idea. Excercise and being paid for it!

Good idea Blades. Have you got kids? Or even if not: school governor. Most schools usually have vacancies for parent or community governors. Benefit for the school is input of fresh ideas and energy, keeping the senior management on their toes. Benefit for you, particularly if you chair one of the committees, is keeping you in touch with all those management type skills that get lost when working on your own. Also, frankly, looks good on the cv if you want to get back to work at some point. I've found it invaluable in keeping me rooted in something external to my trading business while working from home and would strongly recommend it.

not a bad idea at all. But our next door neighbour is a Govenor and he reckons it's strangled by the clip board queens and such - you know the sort. I think I'd last 5 minutes. You never know though.....

The citizens advice bureaux are always in need for volunteers, this could be quite interesting, i think the hours are 9.30am - 12.30pm, you decide how many days you want to do.

Aye - one I've considered for my voluntary work, whenever that starts.

Cheers,
UTB

Why not invest in your health? By this, I mean work out some sort of regular exercise routine. It doesn't have to mean 2 hours of agony in the gym. It could be going for a cycle, doing light weights at home, perhaps taking up a new sport or joining tai chi class (depending on fitness levels). We're supposed to exercise to the point where it's hard to talk for 30 minutes, 3 times a week, as a minimum, apparently.

I "invest in my health" about 6 times a day, for 5 minutes a time? Does that count?

My eyesight is failing mind.

UTB

:LOL:

I'm a bit scared of heights Graham. Mind you - I paid the window cleaner yesterday. 7 ****ing quid! It takes him about 5 minutes!

Hmmmm......

And that's probably tax-free.. I mean cash in hand!? I heard it's a good business and you get to exercise wiping those windows too ;)