NDF's - Where??

Well, forgive me if I miss the point, but couldn't you use CFD's and adjust them for convexity? I mean, if you aren't going to take delivery, don't you just want a "Delta One" position on the rate?

What I mean is; if you want an NDF, and so don't want to take delivery of the foreign currency, can't you replicate it with a CFD? The cash flows will be different (time and frequency of settlement) which is why I mentioned convexity, but other than that, dont both leave you with a position that is exposed to the relevant rate? So you could just take a CFD on the same notional principal....????

unless you want to trade multiple expiries, sort of the "term structure of Exchange rates"?

interested to learn about what you hope to do with 'em.

GJ, can you enlighten us as to the differences / characteristsics of NDF's that make them unique from the instruments we will all be familiar with? What makes them different from a good old fashioned spread bet, for example?

Or is is just that it isn't a currency (the BRL) that the retail market has easy access to, let alone the crosses (which is why you are talking about USDBRL and GBPUSD as a proxy for GBPBRL, yeah?)

Last edited:
so it's a hedge or a punt then really. i guess he delta 1 traders are the big boys in those instruments then,

cheers GJ-a goldmine as usual.

and agree wholeheartedly with final 2 statements