Metaphors for Trading

Marketology. Observing The ebb & Flow Of Money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look at it like this or see it like this. The market is like a dynamic ocean. With *tides & waves.

CB.

hmmm, I worte that in a predicting the market thread, whether its a metaphor or not, its what I can observe, more often than not, being objective.

Ive also always spoken that life is an amazing gift, special, etc everyone is unique and valuable. No one better than other, all equals no matter what, skin, whad size, chattles etc etc..... to me thats normal or feels natural. But you do notice how much "forcing" goes on, on the rest of the planet.

anyway, nice link thanks for sharing it.

So this has got me thinking what metaphors should there be... ?

your life/style metaphor?

Trading metaphor?

crikey thats a short list :) but the metaphor needs to be understood, examined in detail to be of use? or does it tick on a subconscious and it that would not be required as the brain would go seek the info and slot it in ?

now then, with all the killing on the planet I assume the armed forces do not implant metaphors like "Life is an amazing gift, you will enjoy all
life"
into the soldiers? seriously deep down I think humans know it is.

ehh, this has just popped up "Happiness is a cigar called hamlet" those sneaky so and so's , I need to replace that one..... you can see how powerful it is, never smoked one though..

but with what ?

happiness is......

so the list is 3 now,

Happiness is.... a sad person asleep. ( theres apparently more depression in western living today, despite the abundance of things for people ? huh.... heres your pill, next... )

Life is.... death in disguise (thats proabably what most of the planet feel ? all the wars n stuff?)

ok here we go....

happiness is the warmth/sunshine of life. (thank you)

life is a gift (thank you, I accept)

Trading is as above at the top.. maybe I need to step back and hammer in to be the captain who sends one of the many boats out of the fleet onto the ocean, so the captain is shore bound and wont go down should a scud land home.

Love, all people,including yourself. (everyone deserves it)

any good?

Left this one off,

Love is Oxygen for life

Last edited:
"Thought is Everything"

"Quality of Input = Quality of Output"

To put it simply....quality of output (results) = quality of effort (thought)...nothing more and nothing less.....you cannot complain I do not tell you everything..

hhmmmmmmmm.....

What I really meant from this thread was: When you sit down at your computer tomorrow morning, and you're ready to trade, how are you thinking BEFORE you enter your first trade?

Are you aggressive? Impatient? Relaxed? Anxious? Scared?

How about this for a metaphor................

Tomorrow morning will be your first trade of the week, month and last quarter of the year. If it's a loser will you then go into revenge mode and try and win back your loss? If it's a winner will you celebrate?

If you have an abundance mentality then you view yourself as a small, insignificant "thing" and the market as a vast ocean of opportunity. If you can read the ebbs and flows and manage to ride WITH a wave (trend) then you will be able to take a small piece of this ocean of abundance. If the set up (or wave) that you like doesn't appear then stand aside (stay on the beach and watch). If you see it, then jump in with both feet and ride the wave until it runs out. Then take your profit and wait for the next wave (set up). Don't celebrate, just remain calm and maintain your patience and discipline. If you've hit your daily target then walk away, and come back to the beach tomorrow and observe, with patience, discipline and equanimity.

If your stop loss is hit, that's fine, because that has been taken into account in your plan. Your plan includes a percentage of losses. Your plan includes a wave falling apart under your feet and not taking you where you expected. You calmly go back to the beach and wait for the next wave (set up). Jump on board with equal confidence when the wave you like appears. Your plan tells you that most of the waves you ride will meet your expectation, it's just that you don't know which ones they are!!!!!!! So you have to ride them all!!!!!!!!

Just ride each wave with equal confidence (forgetting the outcome of the previous wave). Don't be attached to the outcome of this wave either. It doesn't matter. It's been taken into account in your plan hasn't it?

The fact that tomorrow morning is the first day of the week, month and last quarter is utterly irrelevant. It's just another wave in the sequence of unending waves.

You don't need to worry...

As long as there's a gravitational pull on the earth there will always be waves!!

So all you need to do is be patient and wait for them to appear, then jump on and ride them!!!

So, if a non-trader observes all the T2W traders (with this metaphor in their mind) returning to the beach after riding their first wave they shouldn't be able to tell whether the wave was successful or not, because we'd all have the same expression on our faces because the outcome was included in our plan.

However, those with a wry smile would probably give the game away...........

mmmmm, point taken,

my day starts with the premise that

there are many ways to skin a cat.....and i am here to skin the cat :cheesy:

mmmmm, point taken,

my day starts with the premise that

there are many ways to skin a cat.....and i am here to skin the cat :cheesy:

LOL

That's cool!!!

So, let's review this time tomorrow and all be honest and admit whether or not we 1) began the day with whatever metaphor is best for us individually in our minds 2) traded with patience and discipline and without being attached to the outcome (because its included in our plan anyway).

What if we honestly assess our "mood" in the morning BEFORE we trade, and only trade if we can give ourselves at least 7 out of 10. So, if we're hung over, or annoyed, or have a pressing issue to deal with or otherwise distracted then we give Monday a miss!

I have a sneaky suspicion that there'll be more "waves" on Tuesday!!!!!

I read somewhere that if you do something for 30 days then it becomes a "habit". So, if we do this for 30 days starting from tomorrow then it will be a very useful habit to have!

For me, thinking of trading as a "battle" isn't helpful. I prefer to think of the market as a vast ocean, with continuous waves of potential opportunity. Avoid the huge, erratic waves in a storm, (news releases) and avoid a completely quiet ocean with no waves at all. You need nice regular waves. Keep on taking a teaspoon and it won't be long before your cup is full. The market won't even notice.

Waiting in a side road to pull into the main traffic flow. Best to obey the highway code/rule. Cars crashing into you, and stopping you in your tracks, will after all, have the right of way and the flow is always right or just is the market.
Sooo pick you timing carefully, indicate & dive in! Usually after plenty of practice it will become second nature and you will hardly ever crash and burn!

japanese cat played chase all day in a small patio and didnt allow it self to be skinned. Skinner lost will to live and called the day early. :(