Market Manipulation?

fibonelli

Experienced member
I keep a list of equities which I monitor.

If anyone thinks only the SB cos manipulate prices, look at this chart and decide. :rolleyes:

Unluckily, my buy order at 50p wasn't hit :LOL:

Attachments

• Tanfield plc - Market Manipulation 150807.JPG
    Tanfield plc - Market Manipulation 150807.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 797
An Interesting spike there.

What i would say though fib, is i find a candlestick chart much easier to read, and more informative than both line and bar charts, as do a lot of people.
I am lost looking at a line or bar chart.
I find a line chart less useful than a bar chart also, as it only plots the close of the period. The Open high & low are 3/4 of the story.
A candlestick chart quickly tells you what happened on that bar - did it close up, down, or level with the open price.

But maybe you also prefer candlesticks, but that provider only does basic line charts :idea: .

Last edited:
Fibonelli,

Manipulation of equity prices is within the remit of market-makers.

Grant.

If anyone thinks only the SB cos manipulate prices, look at this chart and decide. :rolleyes:

Alas too late now, but here's a site showing you the actual trades and trade types; around 15 mins worth in this case. Could be useful for you in future.
www.lse.co.uk/ShareTrades.asp?shareprice=TAN&share=tanfield

I used to have another link which showed a whole days trades, but can't find it.

Glenn

George Douglas Taylor wrote a book about that

Does anyone remember a link "Trading Naked" where some of Joe Ross's articles were printed? I have been trying to raise it but I get a "Account Suspended" message. It was there for years. Amongst those articles was one by George Ansell, who was writing about this manipulation question. He was pushing his LSS method, which you have to pay for, of course, but the article was worth interesting and worth reading, 13 pages of it. In a nutshell, the market is manipulated all the time and the trick is to know where and when to enter a reverse trade.

It's all part of the business of trading!

Split

Does anyone remember a link "Trading Naked" where some of Joe Ross's articles were printed? I have been trying to raise it but I get a "Account Suspended" message. It was there for years. Amongst those articles was one by George Ansell, who was writing about this manipulation question. He was pushing his LSS method, which you have to pay for, of course, but the article was worth interesting and worth reading, 13 pages of it. In a nutshell, the market is manipulated all the time and the trick is to know where and when to enter a reverse trade.

Split

Mr Ansell had a wrist slapping by the CFTC in 2002

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/printthread.php?threadid=5446

I don't see manipulation. You have to ask yourself what would have been the motive for pros to dump stock to push the price down and then buy most of it back at higher prices? Most of the stock sold (and it was primarily selling volume) between 117-133 over a half-hour period. If they’d have really wanted the stock, they’d mark it down on low volume and keep it there until they’d removed most of the floating supply before marking it back up.

This is a relatively thin stock. There was significant volume on this move. Manipulation is price action moving out of whack (too much or too little) in relation to volume and this simply wasn’t the case on Tanfield today.

Manipulation would have been quiet and slow and would have had a specific purpose and positive financial outcome.

Maybe someone got spooked and then spooked the rest of the herd, but the net result was 0.25p up on the day. Ooops.

Attachments

• tanfield.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 494

Split

Hi Split, I loved that site, shame its gone, is this the article you were looking for?

Attachments

• LSS_3_Day_Cycle_Method_George_Angell.pdf
    150.8 KB · Views: 348
Hi Don,

Glad to know that someone, there, is solvent enough to pay the subscription. (Wasn't you, was it?) :)

Split

Sorry, I'm probably being more than a little dense here, but not sure what point you are trying to make? That the market makers are holding the market up, around your limit order?

Fibonelli,

Manipulation of equity prices is within the remit of market-makers.

Grant.

market makers are a funny bunch - but with some practice everyone can have a go at that role.
Besides always being in the position of getting in or out first - (a HUGE advantage), you can also put the " spread " in your pocket.. !! :cool: