Junior trader position WANTED

paul_od

Hi

I am looking to enter the financial markets and require a trainee position. My only experience is trading my own [small] account on E-trade. In 2009 I achieved 68% growth on this account.

I am a graduate calibre ex-firefighter who has been running my own business since 2006. I have no degree as I joined the Fire Service at 18. However, I was invited up to Cambridge to read Law in 2000, which I think demonstrates that whilst I do not have the piece of paper, I am not out of my depth intellectually.

I am used to pressure, I am used to long hours and I want this career change.

If anyone knows of any opportunities in the UK or overseas please let me know.

[email protected]

I have no degree as I joined the Fire Service at 18. However, I was invited up to Cambridge to read Law in 2000, which I think demonstrates that whilst I do not have the piece of paper, I am not out of my depth intellectually.

You turned down an opportunity to read Law at Cambridge to be a fireman? That certainly demonstrates something. Why would you not get the law degree while it was on offer and then go and be a fireman? Just curious - not hiring (currently).

You turned down an opportunity to read Law at Cambridge to be a fireman? That certainly demonstrates something. Why would you not get the law degree while it was on offer and then go and be a fireman? Just curious - not hiring (currently).

I'm afraid it demonstrates nothing except confused time lines. I was a fire-fighter from '93 - '03 and had a Cambridge offer in 2000.

Also even in 1993 there were nearly 2000 applicants for 9 jobs as fire-fighters. I was presented with the opportunity to start my career early so I took it. A degree wasn't as necessary for a good career there, as it is these days. It is almost 20 years ago.

I think my point really was to illustrate graduate calibre.

To be fair, I am trying to do something positive as I don't meet the graduate requirements of the adverts I have seen, but I have the potential.

Thanks for your input though...

Last edited:
You are not too old for a proprietary trading firm, neither do you need a degree. All you need is your accounts to show your profitable trading.

Just because you get a place at uni, it doesn't mean you're graduate caliber. It's kind of insulting to all those who spent 3 yrs going through the system and taking exams/paying for it etc. who came out of it with a degree. You got a place and all it means is you were good enough to get into a good university. But that doesn't put you on par with those who attended and have the piece of paper at the end of it to call yourself "graduate caliber".

Apply to Schneider Trading Associates, Futex and a load of other prop shops and see what comes of it.

Well I've stirred up a hornets nest here haven't I?

Plenty of ****wits walking around with degrees mate and there's plenty of highly intelligent people out there without the piece of paper who chose other routes instead.

I think its perfectly possible to be capable of doing something, and to recognise that capability without actually achieving it.

Anyway thanks for the tips

How do you use this site effectively to get a trading job in a firm?

join up as a member, set job preferences to alert you to jobs of interest, add your profile to the online multi media database, contact companies in the Directory, add a comment to your status,

Just because you get a place at uni, it doesn't mean you're graduate caliber. It's kind of insulting to all those who spent 3 yrs going through the system and taking exams/paying for it etc. who came out of it with a degree. You got a place and all it means is you were good enough to get into a good university. But that doesn't put you on par with those who attended and have the piece of paper at the end of it to call yourself "graduate caliber".

Apply to Schneider Trading Associates, Futex and a load of other prop shops and see what comes of it.

if was recruiting for traders, i'd have 1 thing on my mind: can this guy/girl make money? y/n. that simple.

anyway, what would a 3yr degree in media studies from buttville college tell me? probably that they are some clueless kid who has wasted their time. bad trade. however, someone who has put effort to try and get to cambridge to read law as a mature student tells me they put in effort and wants to better them selves. probably someone who may be able to hack it?

i wouldnt call half the kids that come out of uni these days as graduate caliber anyway. well, not of the caliber of the graduates of my day anyway :smart: