Did You Know....

What a nice chap you are. Let her know. I’m sure she already does anyway, but you can't let people know enough nice things.

Anyway, 20kg - that's how much Gold there is in the Oceans for each person currently living on this planet.

Now, if they all had their 20kg, it would make - absolutely no difference to them - and all the difference in the world to the commodities markets, (Gold especially :LOL: ) and impact every other market as well.

These things occur to me for no particular reason, but having occurred, I find them difficult to get rid of. I am taking medication....

No worries. I kid you not, over the years I have at various times come up with the most 'off the wall' notions without quite understanding what prompted them. When I have found a way take the abstract notion and make it into something practical that I can invest in I have not yet lost money on it. It's a nice 'affliction' to have.

Tony,

So based on this there is 6,000,000,000 x 20Kg in total = 120, 000,000,000 Kgs of gold in our oceans ?

Are you sure it is as high as 120 Billion Kgs ? And if so where can we get a piece of the action ? :)

Paul

There was a short science-fiction story called "The Man Who Ploughed the Seas" by Arthur C Clarke.
About a man who calculated the amount of sea-water a ships propellers ploughed through, and calculated how much minerals a ship could "harvest" if it could extract these resources.

The story was a fascinating vehicle to explain the amount of stuff sloshing away in the oceans.

20kgs of gold...

Last edited by TheBramble : Yesterday at 11:58 PM.

The cost of transporting a years supply of penguins up from Antartica for a hungry polar bear to eat, perhaps?
Thank god for edit buttons...!

The cost of transporting a years supply of penguins up from Antartica for a hungry polar bear to eat, perhaps?
Thank god for edit buttons...!
Yeah. I knew you could handle that one Peto, but I had second thoughts about the rest of humanity. If that information got 'out there', who knows where it (or we) could have ended up. Five minutes quite reflection and a hasty edit and I feel it's made all the difference between status quo and oblivion. Thanks for your quiet understanding.

So based on this there is 6,000,000,000 x 20Kg in total = 120, 000,000,000 Kgs of gold in our oceans ?

Are you sure it is as high as 120 Billion Kgs ? And if so where can we get a piece of the action ? :)
Unwilling to attach any degree of confidence to any of this data Paul, but if there are:

6 X 10E9 people and
1.46 X 10E15 tons of water in the Oceans

that equates to each person having their own 243,333 tons of water to themselves and they can find out through whatever process they choose to harvest the 20kg of Gold it contains.

That's about 1KG of Gold for every 12,166 tons of water.

Now if 6 X 10E9 people were convinced they had their own 243,333 tons of water and could choose any way at all to obtain their 20Kg of Gold from it - do you think at least one person would find a way?

Yeah. I knew you could handle that one Peto, but I had second thoughts about the rest of humanity. If that information got 'out there', who knows where it (or we) could have ended up. Five minutes quite reflection and a hasty edit and I feel it's made all the difference between status quo and oblivion. Thanks for your quiet understanding.
Quite. I''ll quietly quit.

I've often thought about the nonsense associated with Water Shortages and it might tie in nicely here.

What if we built Water Purification Plants....suck in sea water, boil it, condence it, filter it for minerals gold and anything else thats any use...purify an amount of it...pump and store it...whatever...and simply send the rest back out to sea from whence it came....is this so irrational...after all, we do exactly the same thing with oil and refining.

[edit..]

Now if 6 X 10E9 people were convinced they had their own 243,333 tons of water and could choose any way at all to obtain their 20Kg of Gold from it - do you think at least one person would find a way?

Yes, but being heavier than water means all the gold will be on the bottom. So you could immediately drain 243,000 tons of water. Probably into the Australian outback where there is a desperate shortage of water. This means you would only need to search the remaining 333 tons of water. Now, 1 cubic meter of water weighs around 1 ton, so you only actually need to search around 7 cubic meters of water to recover your 20Kgs of gold. Not that big a task when you consider the reward.

that equates to each person having their own 243,333 tons of water to themselves .....

that is as unlikely as each person having their own equal amounts of land and mountains, and having their own fair share of oil, gas, nickel, copper, etc on the face of the earth.

the technical practicalities will be overwhelmed by the brutish, grabbing laws that will be imposed by the select and powerful few to claim it all for themselves. (you only own the land on which your house is built on. I think the Queen owns all mineral rights to your land.) however, due to currents, could technically mean you access the entire ocean by its movement.

aside from which, there is the minor issue of the marine species you would have to destroy in the process. I believe there are ten times as much diversity of species in the oceans as there are on land - for the moment.

PS: sea-water, since it has minerals in solution, weighs about 1.3tonnes per metre cubed, not 1tonne.

PPS: I think some scientist suggested that micro-organisms could be genetically modified to extract gold or other minerals, in the same way they extract nutrients.

PPPS:it would be cheaper and easier to bombard lead with protons to transmute into gold. :LOL: why gold? gallium, palladium are far more valuable by weight, and nickel and cobalt more useful from a technical perspective.
why am I writing this?

Trendie, out of curiosity, what is your definition of 'about' when used in the context of approximation?

If I said there are about 180 billion stars in our galaxy would you say that I was wrong because there are precisely about 200 billion?

Just curious...

Trendie, out of curiosity, what is your definition of 'about' when used in the context of approximation?

If I said there are about 180 billion stars in our galaxy would you say that I was wrong because there are precisely about 200 billion?

Just curious...

in what example of "about" ? the water thing?

in what example of "about" ? the water thing?

Yes, I think it was around about that part in your post. But it doesn't matter, just generally speaking. What +/- % do you assign to 'about' and 'around' when approximating.

Yes, but being heavier than water means all the gold will be on the bottom. So you could immediately drain 243,000 tons of water. Probably into the Australian outback where there is a desperate shortage of water. This means you would only need to search the remaining 333 tons of water. Now, 1 cubic meter of water weighs around 1 ton, so you only actually need to search around 7 cubic meters of water to recover your 20Kgs of gold. Not that big a task when you consider the reward.

Yes, I think it was around about that part in your post. But it doesn't matter, just generally speaking. What +/- % do you assign to 'about' and 'around' when approximating.

hhmmm, well, it depends.when I read your first post above, I imagined a massive, collosal jug with 243,000 tons in it, and the magical concentration of all contents into just 333 tons.
this aside from the ginormous sieve needed to pour the 243,333 tons through.
and also the other vast quantities of solutes the gold would be mixed in with.
(I think the most volume would be of sodium and pottasium chlorides)

I took your post as a witty, clever post about the relative absurdity of the proposition, so I responded in (what I thought would be) a humourous vein.

the remark about the 1 ton(ne) was just a recognition that 1 m3 of pure water weighs 1 ton - just a fleeting mini-thought that sometimes floats through my overactive and disordered mind.
I guess I should have put a smiley face to indicate flippancy. :)
hope you didnt take offence, or think I was being clever. actually I was, but not in that way. even then, apparently not.

"...and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass" (Revelation 21:21).

It is now known that the deep rich yellow colour is not a natural property of absolutely pure gold, but is instead the result of impurities.

I now come to my deeper purpose in starting this thread...

I have many sheets of the purest Gold which I openly hide in my window frames for safety and anonymity. I am prepared to part with them to you for a fraction of the cost of spot in order to fund my trading habit.

Delivery in the Phnom Penh region free, elsewhere, FedEx rates apply. Collect possible through 3rd party.

Pingouins pour vente

I also have a large consignment of frozen penguins (what else would they be...?) for sale. Container lots only. Shipping arranged FOB or CIF at cost plus 15% admin.Contact my shipping agents with ref: t2w-Uno nato ogni minuto

Ben Line Agencies Cambodia
N° 31-32A/168, Samdech Monireth (St. 217)
12309 Phnom Penh, Cambodia

I also have a large consignment of frozen penguins (what else would they be...?) for sale. Container lots only. [/I]
or individually where encased in pure gold or ice, please specify?

Attachments

• penguin2.jpg
    penguin2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 342