Decisions, decisions... car advice...

shadowninja

Legendary member
I know we're supposedly on the verge of a recession, oil prices through the roof, higher taxes etc... but ignoring that...

9674-2005-Lotus-Elise.jpg

OR

tvr_chimaera_02.jpg

:?:

My thinking currently: Elise is better on fuel, better handling, more focused fun. Chimaera is heart-achingly beautiful (strong hints of '60s roadster in the design), sounds fantastic, accelerates harder (my previous Chimaera out-accelerated an Elise 111S from standing on a runway to about 130mph (at that point, we ran out of runway)).

My thinking currently: Elise is better on fuel, better handling, more focused fun. Chimaera is heart-achingly beautiful (strong hints of '60s roadster in the design), sounds fantastic, accelerates harder (my previous Chimaera out-accelerated an Elise 111S from standing on a runway to about 130mph (at that point, we ran out of runway)).

so, it was you who caused me to abort my landing in my new LearJet!

You say that in jest... I recall doing an airfield day at Kemble. As I entered and accelerated down the main runway, some ****er in a jet fighter took off above me. Soooo loud. It was a bit like Top Gun when he was on his bike alongside the runway.

I swear someone was playing this song in the background:
YouTube - Top Gun - Danger Zone (Music Video)

I know we're supposedly on the verge of a recession, oil prices through the roof, higher taxes etc... but ignoring that...

9674-2005-Lotus-Elise.jpg

OR

tvr_chimaera_02.jpg

:?:

I have a 1998 Vauxhall Astra for sale - £1,200 (no, really).

All mod cons - steering wheel, carpets, wing mirrors, AM radio WITH cassette player.

Much better than that crap you're looking at.

PM me for further info.

UTB

;)

elise is put together with glue though.

Anyway you don't buy a car like that for reliability ffs

Dont waste your money on new motors, take your old one - screw on a bit of MDF and you could end up with something like this....

Attachments

• crazycarmod11.jpg
    crazycarmod11.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 141
  • crazycarmod12.jpg
    crazycarmod12.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: BSD
I have a 1998 Vauxhall Astra for sale - £1,200 (no, really).

All mod cons - steering wheel, carpets, wing mirrors, AM radio WITH cassette player.

Much better than that crap you're looking at.

PM me for further info.

UTB

;)

no fluffy dice, no deal.

whats a cassette player? :cheesy:

Regrettably, I've not been fortunate enough to drive either. But they're both nice motors & I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with either.

For fun at a sensible price I've got a MINI Cooper S - brilliant car, super cockpit - handles like a fighter jet (not quite as much 'G' though !) Best fun since my MG Midget when I were a lad.

As for bad motors, what's the worst you've driven? In my case it's the original Beetle - fantastic reliability but drives like a pudding even without a crosswind (with a X-wind it's safer to stay at home). A close second has to be the Vauxhall Vectra - postively the most awful modern car I have driven.

PS - talking of Astra's with cassette players: had one of these for 12 years from 1995 (won it free on a credit card survey). Drove it into the ground on mainly business use for 150,000 miles - all I ever did was give it petrol, new tyres and replaced the other bits that wore out. Interestingly, although this was badged as a Vauxhall, it was actually a German Opel plate under the hood - probably accounts for its longevity and reliability. Eventually failed its MOT & became too clapped out to let Mrs 0007 drive it up the M1 when I left London. So managed to sell it to local garage lad for half the price he would no doubt sell it on for after he'd welded up the MOT bits. Can't complain.

Last edited:
no fluffy dice, no deal.

whats a cassette player? :cheesy:

because I love you, I'll throw in the fluffy dice AND leave the Wayne and Waynetta signs on the wind screen. It's a bargain.

UTB

PS - a cassette player is some new fangled technology that is challenging the gramophone. It'll never catch on.

Lol, well you could always travel! Try living in west wales, you wont get much within 20 miles around here!

I can't be bothered to travel for a car unless it's something so amazing that it warrants me spending more than 60 minutes to get to it. By amazing, it would have to cost more than £1m and be one of maybe 200. Otherwise, I can't be arsed.